BrainPickings has recommendations for books, videos and essays on teaching, philosophy and psychology. Read everyone from Sir Ken Robinson to John Cleese and E. B. White.
Great blog about 21st century learners, special focus on Bloom's taxonomy & teaching and this wiki collection of 21st Century school tools is more low-fi but well organized and includes free music, mapping and graphing tools.
New Professional eBooks FREE (use PW: ocmboces)
Staff at Edutopia created these tips for succesful parent conferences.
Did you know teachers get discounts in ALL SORTS of places?
Thinking about assessment? Authentic Assessment is a teaching strategy adopted by some schools. Check out the New York School of the Future and its resources for authentic assessment.
Are you using the Library catalog features? You can LOG IN to create your own RESOURCE LISTS using your MPH ID and PW. You can search just the video collection too. See me with questions.
Do you know if your students can reuse a pop song in their video? Please read this or ask Ms. Morrison for copyright advice. Find out about obtaining copyright permission, using online content via Creative Commons licensing and why this is important
A Few Resources I recommend:
- WolframAlpha simply amazing
- The BBC has great animated videos, games and other learning tools
- StumbleUpon finds sites you'd like based on your ratings of sites
- Learn via video to use Flip Cameras (or see me for a handout)
- Type your subject into AWESOME STORIES for lots of different types of primary material
- Great rubric creator, good examples for assessing powerpoint & multimultimedia
Locate video clips, audio, and other multimedia for classroom use:
- Britannica ImageQuest we pay for this subscription to nearly 3 million rights cleared images!
- LIFE magazine archive of amazing photos
- National Geographic resources for science, geography, photography and more
- More Copyright Friendly resources for images and sound at this link to portals
- Teacher site from PBS links to video, lesson plans and other PBS content for schools
Read About School Issues Related to Social Media
- GREAT cyberbullying resource
- This NY Times article explores the legalities of cyberbullying inside and outside of school.
- This NY Times article looks at students' legal and social ramifications of sexting
5 Key Concepts of Media Literacy
More Tech Resources:
- Learn to use Google Advanced Search
- Keys to using Powerpoint in your classroom (DOs and DON'Ts)
- Teach your student to use SAFE SEARCH in GOOGLE and YOUTUBE (scroll to bottom of page and turn SAFETY MODE on)
Looking for resources related to Native American culture and history?